I used to love milk in all forms and all its derivatives like cream, ice-cream, tiramisu, yogurt, cheeses, and so on.
Then a few years ago, I saw a TV program showing how much oil there was in per spoonful of Haagen Daz ice-cream. Somehow when ice-cream was melted and then reduced to oil, it looked yucky. So I went off ice-cream.
In 2006, I discovered a cholesterol problem and decided on a doctor friend’s suggestion to start eating oats. That’s when I discovered oat milk and started using it to replace the milk in my coffee. And I never looked back as I found how much I liked Oatleys.
I’m now doubly glad i got off milk when I received this forwarded mail from my cousin J, detailing 10 reasons (reproduced below) why one shouldn’t drink milk or eat its related products:. I don’t buy all the reasons but reasons 1, 4, 5, 6, 8 and 9 are already enough.
1) Cows are not milk machines. After years of living in filthy conditions, being kept constantly pregnant and being forced to produce about 10 times more milk than they naturally would, dairy cows are slaughtered.
2) “Moo” is not your first language. Human babies don’t say “goo goo moo moo”, so why treat them like calves? Humans are the only animals who drink breast milk after infancy and the only animals who drink milk from a different species. It makes as much sense for people to drink cow’s milk as it would for dogs to drink giraffe’s milk!
3) Cookies and cramps don’t mix. Studies show that more than 90 per cent of Chinese people are lactose-intolerant. Can you say “abdominal cramps, bloating and diarrhea”?
4) Dairy is pusitively scary. There’s more in that glass of milk than you think. Dairy products are commonly contaminated with blood, pus, pesticides and antibiotics.
5) There’s veal in your cereal. Milk fuels the cruel veal industry. Considered by-products of the dairy industry, male calves are dragged away to veal crates when they are just hours old.
6) Milk is bad for the bone. Contrary to a popular milky myth, studies strongly implicate dairy foods in causing, rather than preventing, osteoporosis, because their high protein content leaches calcium from the body.
7) Milk does the planet bad. Bad for mother cows, milk production is also bad for Mother Earth. It’s a major source of water pollution: just one dairy cow produces as much waste every day as two dozen people could produce — but with no toilets, sewers or treatment plants.
8) The white stuff isn’t the right stuff. Milk is formulated to meet the nutritional needs of calves, who have four stomachs and gain an average of 115 kilograms in their first six months of life. It’s mad for humans to chug moo-juice!
9) No grain means lots of pain. Every glass of milk takes a meal away from hungry people. Crops which could be used to feed the hungry are instead used to feed dairy cows. It takes a huge amount of grain cycled through cows to produce a very small amount of milk.
10) A milk moustache is a real heartbreaker. Devoid of fibre and complex carbohydrates but loaded with saturated fat and cholesterol, dairy products have been linked to heart disease, high blood pressure, obesity, diabetes and certain types of cancer.
Spokesman for PETA, the group which drew up the 10 reasons, said:”All cow’s milk — whether it’s poisoned with melamine or not — is an unhealthy mix of contaminants, cholesterol and fat.
“The best bet for people who care about their health is to switch to healthy and humane soya, rice or almond milk and give dairy products the boot.”
I’ll drink to that and add Oatleys!